Banana bread is a traditional go-to dessert of many home cooks. The recipe has been around for centuries, and it’s easy to make with only a few ingredients.
This recipe calls for very basic ingredients like flour, sugar and butter.
This rich and buttery bread is truly a slice of heaven. It starts with an old-fashioned banana bread batter, lightened up by use of yogurt and butter instead of oil.
Adding candied fruit to the mix gives it that special something extra. A sweet vanilla glaze tops it off to make one incredible dessert that tastes like summer!
However, there are many variations that you can make to change the flavor and texture of your banana bread.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1½ cups), divided
- ¼ cup melted butter + 2 tablespoons for brushing the pan and sprinkling on top of bread before baking** (if desired)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, I would also add about ¾ teaspoon banana extract if you can get your hands on it. It really makes a difference in the finished product. The wonderful Paradise Fruit Company was kind enough to send me a few bottles to try out. I was blown away by the candied pineapple and cherries that I bought from them. They have lots of other wonderful kinds as well.
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest.
- Glaze: ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons milk or cream, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
Get More Caramel Apple Pecan Streusel Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, and baking soda until combined; set aside. In a large bowl combine 1½ cups granulated sugar, sour cream, eggs, mashed bananas (about ½ cup), butter (melted), vanilla extract and lemon zest (about ½ teaspoon). Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spread batter evenly into prepared loaf pan; sprinkle with remaining melted butter (about 2 tablespoons); sprinkle with granulated sugar (about 1 teaspoon).
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool completely in pan on a wire rack before unmolding and slicing.
- Glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl; stir until smooth. If necessary add more milk or confectioners’ sugar as needed to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over top of bread. Serve.
- If using a 9×5 loaf pan: Add one banana to the batter and mix in after mixing is complete. *My final weight on this loaf did not include the candied fruit, therefore I would say that 1½ cups mashed bananas is about right.
Check out Candied Cherry Brownie Recipe
per slice: 108 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 1 g protein.
At the end of the day, Banana Fruit Bread Recipe is a great recipe for those looking to keep it simple. With just a little bit of time, you’ll have your very own fresh-baked banana bread.